The Board of Education of Anne Arundel County has extended the 2019-2020 School Year by one day to allow all schools and offices to be closed for Rosh Hashanah, meaning the last day for students next year is now scheduled for Tuesday, June 16, 2020.
The changes were adopted by the Board at its April 17, 2019, meeting. They came after discussion of the results of the recent school calendar survey directed by the Board and administered from March 27, 2019, through April 5, 2019. Of nearly 27,000 respondents to that survey, more than 62 percent indicated they preferred not to add any days to the end of the school year and to leave the last scheduled day of classes on June 15, 2020.
The Board did not adopt any other changes to the calendar, but several days will shift as a result of the Rosh Hashanah closure on September 30, 2019, and the extension of the school year.
- The first day of classes for students in grades 1-5, 6, and 9, will be Tuesday, September 3, 2019. Other students will begin classes on a staggered start, as has been the case in previous years.
- The last day of classes for students is scheduled to be Tuesday, June 16, 2020.
- The last day of classes for prekindergarten and ECI students is scheduled to be Friday, June 12, 2020.
- The last day of classes for graduating seniors will be Thursday, May 21, 2020.
- There are two days built into the calendar for inclement weather closings, with a conditional third day designated on March 10, 2020 (currently a parent-teacher conference day) to be used if necessary. Additional days needed due to inclement weather may be added on to the end of the school year if necessary.
- Schools and offices will be closed for three three days for Thanksgiving break and three days for Easter/Spring break.
- In October 2019, there will be two days for parent-teacher conferences at the elementary and middle school levels, and one day for parent-teacher conferences at the high school level.
- In March 2020, there will be one day for parent-teacher conferences at all levels.
- The last day of work for 191-day Unit I and Unit IV employees (classroom teachers, teaching assistants, technology support technicians, etc.) will be Wednesday, June 17, 2020.