The Board of Education of Anne Arundel County will conduct a public hearing on Superintendent George Arlotto’s recommended Fiscal Year 2020 Capital Budget and six-year Capital Improvement Plan during its next regularly scheduled meeting on Wednesday, September 26, 2018.
The six-year plan, which includes a $172 million capital budget request for Fiscal Year 2020, charts the course for maintenance, renovation, and new construction projects through Fiscal Year 2025. After adoption by the Board, the plan will be submitted to the State of Maryland for funding consideration. The plan will also be part of the school system’s overall FY2020 budget request, to be forwarded to the County Executive in February 2019 after the Board holds additional public hearings.
Dr. Arlotto’s FY2020 Capital Budget recommendation allocates nearly $101.6 million to the following major projects, in priority order:
- George Cromwell Elementary School renovation (construction), $4.7 million
- Edgewater Elementary School renovation (construction), $24.0 million
- Tyler Heights Elementary School renovation (construction), $19.3 million
- Richard Henry Lee Elementary School renovation (construction), $16.3 million
- Crofton Area High School construction, $24.4 million
- Quarterfield Elementary School (feasibility study), $947,000
- Hillsmere Elementary School (feasibility study), $784,000
- Rippling Woods Elementary School (feasibility study), $1.2 million
- Old Mill West High School (design), $10.0 million
In addition, Dr. Arlotto’s request includes $11 million for prekindergarten and kindergarten additions at Millersville and Linthicum elementary schools and $6 million for classroom additions at Solley and Crofton Woods elementary schools.
Dr. Arlotto’s proposed capital budget and six-year Capital Improvement Plan can also be found online.
Also at Wednesday’s meeting, the Board will:
- Discuss potential changes to the timeline for selecting Board leadership as the transition to an elected Board continues.
- Receive an update on implementation of transportation routing software.
The Board will meet in a public session at 5:30 p.m. for the sole purpose of voting to immediately go into closed session, during which time it will discuss confidential matters as permitted by the Maryland Open Meetings Act including, but not limited to, legal advice, personnel, and negotiations. Closed session is not open to the public. The public session of the meeting will resume at 7 p.m.
A complete agenda for the meeting accompanies this news release. More information on agenda items will be posted on the AACPS website in the Board Docs section under the Board of Education tab.
The general session of Wednesday’s Board meeting will be broadcast live on AACPS-TV, which can be found on Channel 96 on Comcast and Broadstripe, and Channel 36 on Verizon. High definition broadcasts can be seen on Channel 996 on Comcast, Channel 496 on Broadstripe, and Channel 1961 on Verizon. Rebroadcasts are scheduled for 7:00 p.m. the day after the meeting and 2:00 p.m. on subsequent Sundays.